The Wisconsin Holstein Association is searching for college students looking to learn more about the registered Holstein industry and wanting to gain valuable experiences that can be utilized in any industry. Applicants attending a 2 or 4 year college are welcomed to apply. It is not required to be majoring in an Agriculture field but background in the dairy industry is preferred.
Salary or Hourly: Salary w/ bonus opportunity Reports to: Executive Director & WHP Editor
Travel: Up to 50% (requires valid drivers license, personal vehicle and will receive mileage reimbursement)
Date: May 27 – August 16, 2013 (some weekends required) Location: Baraboo, WI (housing not included)
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Attend all WHA sponsored summer events and other county Holstein events. These include the WHA State Championship Show, Showmanship and Judging Contest, Junior State Fair Holstein Show, WHA Futurity and Open State Fair Holstein Show. Intern may also be asked to attend District Shows around the state when needed.
- Work with WHA committees to plan events such as the 2013 WHA Futurity, State and District Shows, State Picnic and more. This may include inputing and finalizing show entries, organizing awards, volunteers and other details such as mailings and dignitary needs.
- Organize show booklets, meals, send correspondence before and after an event and archive final placing results.
- Ability to communicate to all areas of the Association in a timely manner
- Assist in any communication materials needed for members or external media such as pamphlets, letters, bios and entry forms
- Work with external sponsors as it pertains to awards, signage and coordination of events
- Build valuable partnerships with industry partners
Web, Print and More
- Write press releases announcing upcoming events and summarizing placings and/or winnings.
- Compile and publish updated marketing materials on www.wisholsteins.com such as press releases, entry forms, event details and imagery.
- Take photos of event winners when needed to post online and share with Editor. This will require the creation of an archive for year-end presentations.
- Interview Wisconsin Holstein breeders and write profile articles as assigned by the Editor; this may require taking photos for the article.
- Write articles of interest for the WI Holstein News and website as well as identify potential roundtable discussions for the News
- Opportunity to learn database management and design e-newsletter creative.
- Excellent communication, writing, organization and time-management practices
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time with strong prioritization skills
- Strong knowledge of PC operating systems (MAC experience a plus)
- High level of attention to detail and ability to focus
- Strong work ethic with a positive attitude
- Knowledge of current trends in the dairy industry
Education and Experience:
- Received their high school diploma
- Currently enrolled in a 2 or 4 year University
- Experience in the Registered Holstein or dairy industry
To Apply :
Submit the following materials by November 15, 2012 to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: WI Holstein Association, Summer Internship, 902 8th Ave., Baraboo, WI 53913.
1) Cover letter explaining why you would be the best fit for the position
2) Resume including education, work experience and accomplishments
3) Latest grade transcript
4) Two letters of reference
Interviews will be held at the WHA office in Baraboo, WI. Please call 1.800.223.4269 with questions or email email@example.com about this internship opportunity.